Tuesday, October 21, 2008

End of the Season

It's in the 40's and raining outside. The forecast calls for the same to continue rest of the week, even getting colder and possibly becoming snow. The wind is blowing. The leaves are falling. All of these are signs that I can't deny - the end of biking season is at hand.


So I caved in last night to this sad reality. I cleaned up my bike a bit, brought it in the house and set it up on my indoor trainer. You know, the kind that locks onto the rear wheel and has a resistance roller to 'simulate' wind and road resistance? I really detest using the trainer. It's like riding with training wheels, except you don't actually go anywhere. It's boredom taken to a new level. Even worse than running on a treadmill - at least there you have to stay alert so you don't fall off. But ten minutes on the trainer feels like an hour on the road, mentally. Even listening to great music or podcasts on the iPod doesn't help much. Which probably is why I rarely use my bike on the trainer. Oh sure, I set it up faithfully every fall, but only use it a few times during the winter. That's just the way it is. Good intentions, but...

But maybe this year will be different. I mean, I have that sweet new Lemond Buenos Aires to ride on the trainer. And I set it up facing the computer in the family room with the big 22" widescreen monitor. Maybe I can throw in a movie DVD and watch it with the full surround sound and keep myself mentally occupied. Maybe even get some DVD's of bike races like le Tour. And trick myself into thinking that I'm not really spinning the wheels on a bike sitting in my family room. Maybe. It could happen.

Of course, there's always the hope that there will be a day or two where the fall and winter weather breaks a bit and the temps get up into the 50's, the sun comes out and the wind slackens. Days when, with the flick of a release lever, I can free my carbon fiber steed from the steely grip of the trainer and for a brief moment enjoy the road once more. Once more, before reality returns and I and my two-wheeled freedom machine must go back to the family room and the trainer.

"There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven..." - Ecclesiastes 3:1

No comments: