Wednesday, May 21, 2008

"Why I'm Not Emergent..."

Interesting. I'm sitting here this morning in my hotel room in Chicago packing up to head home today and I have the radio on, tuned to the Moody station. And they are interviewing the two authors of Why We're Not Emergent (by Two Guys Who Should Be), Kevin DeYoung and Ted Kluck. A great interview, these guys have some great perspectives on the problems at the root of the emerging/emergent movement and have been there and done that and found it lacking in depth and reality. And they aren't afraid of naming names in the movement that they have issues with either. One is a senior pastor, the other is a sports writer in his church, both around 30 years old. They are pretty clear that their issues with the emergent movement isn't related to styles or approaches to ministry and mission, but rather with the core theology and doctrinal uncertainty that marks the emerging/emergent movement. And the movement away from the truth of the Gospel of Christ.

This is a book that's on my shelf, I think I need to move it closer to the top of my "next read" stack. Based on what I've heard from these two men and other reviews of the book, I'd recommend it to you as well.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Phil,
I have just started reading "Why We're Not Emergent." So far the book has offered some really good insight into a movement that is obscure at best. I think if we don't educate ourselves on the emergent movement, it could really sneak up on the church as a whole and has great potential for damage. To quote Kevin Deyoung, "Defining the emergent church is like nailing Jell-O to the wall." Anyway, let me know what you think about the book when you read it.

Jeff Anderson