Sunday, May 27, 2018

Why Am I Reformed? (Prologue)

Over the past 5 or more years, I've been drawn to embrace the classic Reformed Christian faith and doctrines, including covenant theology and Reformed piety and practice. To the point that when we moved to Lincoln last year and needed to find a church, we were only interested in Presbyterian and Reformed churches, and are currently part of Redeemer PCA here. There are a lot of reasons for this development in my doctrinal and ecclesiological views, and I'm planning to write a post about those reasons at some point. In short, I have come to believe that the Covenantal view of Scripture is the most faithful to the whole counsel of God in the Bible, and that the Reformed piety and practice are the most faithful expression of the church based on that view. More to come at some point on why I believe that, mostly as an explanation to many dear brothers and sisters in Christ from my previous church that may not understand these distinctions or why I've embraced them.

But I recently came across a discussion between a number of Reformed theologians and pastors about the differences between Dispensationalism and Covenantalism that outlines many of my thoughts. And while I never was comfortable with the Dispensational view or would have considered myself a Dispensationalist, and I'm not sure some of the Dispensational views are accurately reflected in this video, the description of Reformed theology given in the first few minutes by Sinclair Ferguson covers many of the reasons I have become Reformed.


Stay tuned for a future post on this subject...

No comments: