Thursday, January 1, 2009

First Post of the Year - Thankfully

I'm sitting here on this New Years Day 2009 in a pretty quiet house. Mike is spending a few days in Lincoln with friends. Hannah spent the night at a friends house in another town. And Matt is still sleeping after getting off the bus from San Antonio with the CHS band at about 4:30 this morning. And I'm here in front of the TV waiting for the Gator Bowl to start, and doing a little thinking about what this year might hold. And how I should respond.

More than anything else, I am realizing that I need to respond with thankfulness to my great God and Savior. I'm not a naturally thankful person, never have been. It's far easier for me to be cynical and critical than to be thankful. But I have so much to be thankful for, both immediately and overall. I'm thankful that son Mike returned from Israel a few weeks ago, just ahead of the Gaza situation going on now. I'm thankful that son Matt made it to the Alamo Bowl and back again safely and enjoyably. I'm thankful for the way daughter Hannah is growing into a young lady. I'm thankful for the way that all my kids have bonded this holiday season with all of them being together for a few weeks. I'm thankful for my wife Tammie and her faithful love for me and our family for nearly 30 years now. I'm thankful for a job that the Lord has provided that meets all our financial needs and more, and that gives me opportunities to do different things. I'm thankful for a church that highly values and proclaims the Word of God and that is Christ-centered and Gospel-focused. I'm thankful for the privilege of being part of the teaching ministry of that church. I'm thankful for another year that will bring opportunities, changes, challenges, all to the glory of Christ.

I'm not into New Years resolutions, never have been. But if I was to resolve to commit myself to do something different in 2009, it would be to be a more thankful person. And to express that thankful attitude more frequently, first to Jesus Christ, and then to those around me.

Thank you for reading this...

No comments: