Thursday, June 4, 2009

Contend Earnestly for the Faith...

Haven't posted anything here for quite a while, haven't had much to say that would be edifying I guess. But I have started working on a brief study of the epistle of Jude, and I have to say it's a challenging little letter. And as I begin to take this letter apart a bit and bring it into the 21st century, I want to post some of the things I see in these potent 25 verses of Scripture. So stay tuned for whatever insights I find in this study.

Of course, the central idea of the letter is the command to "contend earnestly for the faith once for all delivered to the saints." And I have to say, this command seems to be less and less popular in the church of Jesus Christ these days. Which is why the truth regarding those who would seek to distort and manipulate the Gospel of Christ contained in this short epistle is at least as important today as when it was written. We who are the called of God, the saints who have received the body of truth and doctrines that constitute the "faith once for all delivered", seem to be less and less willing to contend for it. And we do so at our own peril, as we are the ones entrusted with the truth of the Gospel and tasked with preserving and passing it on to future generations, until Christ returns to complete His redemptive work.

So like I said, stay tuned. Heady stuff this.

No comments: