Monday, May 19, 2008

Ch-Ch-Ch-Changes...

OK, so how many of you thought this post was going to be about old David Bowie music from that title? Well, it's not. It just seemed an appropriate title due to the fact that there are a lot of changes happening at our house and in our lives these days. To wit:

  • Oldest son Mike arrived back at the ranch last weekend after finishing his junior year working on his degree in Bible Exposition at The Master's College in Santa Clarita, CA. He's spending the summer with us as he does another internship at Highland Park Church. And end of summer he'll be heading for Jerusalem to spend the semester studying in Israel with Master's IBEX program. Click here for a video that gives a taste of what he'll be experiencing there. Yep, I'm jealous. In a godly way, of course.
  • This is the last week of school for younger ones Matt and Hannah. In a couple weeks, Matt the almost-15 year old will be off to Timberlake Ranch Camp to spend two weeks serving as a junior cabin leader (JCL), working with young kids. He really likes little kids, and this will be a real adventure for him. Then will come good old seed corn detasseling in July. Ah, the mud and the corn rash. Real character building work. Better him than me.
  • Hannah's summer will be full of softball games (starting next week), attending Timberlake (as a camper), and generally being an almost-12 year old.
  • Lovely wife Tammie of course is facing the change of the school year ending and her admin job at Columbus Christian School on "vacation" for the summer. And the change to riding herd on the three amigos at home for the summer.
  • And me, well I've changed location as I'm in Chicago for work the first part of this week. Trying to learn some new things. After one day of lectures my brain is full. But I brought along some great books to read to fill in the hotel time. I've almost finished Al Mohler's new book Culture Shift, which is a must read. It dovetails so well with all the things we've been studying in my Biblical Worldview class. And it's very readable for a Mohler book. I'm also doing some work on the next class I'll be teaching in a couple of weeks focused on the fruit of the Spirit. An old study I wrote and taught several years ago, doing some updating and the like.

I guess that's all the changes I can handle at one time. As I get older I find that change is much harder to accept and deal with. But thankfully I have a Lord and Savior who changes not, even as He takes me and my family through many changes. For our good and His glory.

No comments: